Hello readers! Today I have a very special post.. I have decided to take one basic ingredient and prepare three different dishes with it. It might seem like a very simple ingredient that you can’t do much with but as you’ll see from the recipes in this post, you can do a lot with absolutely any ingredient. Today’s hero is ‘Cauliflower’ and the three preparations are- Cauliflower kadhai (wok) roast, Aloo-gobhi bhaji, Steamed cauliflower with coriander chutney. These three dishes are absolutely different but prepared using Cauliflower and other very basic ingredients and rather simple techniques. I hope you enjoy.
For Aloo-gobhi bhaji
This is our first dish. A very simple typical Bengali dish. In my school days when it used to be prepared by my aunt (I fondly called her ‘Mako’) we used to enjoy this dish with ‘luchi’. It is a simple, quick and delicious traditional treat.
- Cauliflower 1(medium size, cut into small florets)
- Potato 1 (big, cut into small dice)
- Cumin seed 1 tbl spn
- Dry whole red chili 2(or as according to your taste)
- Cinnamon 1(1/2″ stick)
- Oil 1tbl spn
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Peas 1/4th cup (optional)
Dry roast cinnamon, whole red chili and cumin seed together,grind and keep aside.
In a heated wok add oil and pour diced potato and cauliflower together along with salt. Cover and put on a low flame till done.
When it is done, add the ground mixed spice and sugar.Your humble tasty ‘bhaji’ is ready.
You may enjoy with ‘luchi’, parantha or roti.
To make it even better:
- You may add peas in it, like I have. It will definitely make it tastier.
- While making this preparation,I don’t peel the potatoes as potato skin is very rich in potassium,vitamin C etc. So your dish is both tasty and healthy.
For Cauliflower kadhai (wok) roast
- Cauliflower 2 (medium size)
- Turmeric powder 1tsp
- Chili powder 1tsp
- Coriander powder 1tsp
- Cumin powder 1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste 1tsp
- Onion 2 (medium,chopped)
- Raisins(kismis) 1tbl spn
- Cashew nuts (halved) 2 tbl Eph
- Musk melon seeds(magaz) 1/2 tsp(roasted and paste)
- Curd 1/4 cup
- Ghee (clarified butter) 1tsp (optional)
- Coriander leaves(to garnish)
- Ground Garam masala (spice mix), using the following spices:
- Cinnamon 1(1″stick )
- Cardamom 3 (green)
- Cloves 4
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Oil 3tbl spn
Remove stems from the cauliflower and wash thoroughly.
Par boil the cauliflower with salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric so that they are al dente. Drain and keep the boiled cauliflowers aside.
In a heated wok, add oil. Add the chopped onions till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and stir for 1 minute. Add cashew, raisins, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,chili powder, cumin,coriander powder, muskmelon seed paste and curd. Fry till the oil starts to separate.
Add the cauliflower to the wok and stir it carefully to mix it with the spices without breaking the boiled cauliflower.
Add salt and sugar to balance the taste.
Sprinkle the garam masala (spice mix) you have prepared. You can also sprinkle some water, (if you need to) to incorporate the masalas in the cauliflower and cover for 3 minutes on medium heat.
As the whole thing dries up and the cauliflower is golden in colour, remove from heat. Drizzle ghee on top and cover for another 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Your cauliflower roast is ready.You may enjoy this with roti or naan.
Some more tips:
- If you are a hard core meat lover, you may add boiled minced meat, while preparing the gravy.
- Do not overcook the cauliflower.
For Steamed cauliflower with coriander chutney
- Cauliflower (cut into medium size florets)
- Coriander leaves 1cup (chopped)
- Tomato 1
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Green chili 2 (as per taste)
- Mustard oil 1 tbl spn
- Kosher salt (sea salt)
Steam the cauliflower florets (firm to bite) and keep aside.
Cover the florets with the chutney and enjoy with steamed rice.
- In a deep vessel add salted water and cauliflower in it. Cover and boil for 5-7 minutes or as needed.
- To check whether your vegetable is boiled enough or not, insert a fork in the stem,if it goes smoothly then it’s done.
- Do not over cook.
So there you go! Three different dishes with one simple ingredient- Cauliflower. If you know of any other interesting recipes with Cauliflower, leave it for me in the comments below. I would love to read about them and give it a try (If you have a link to your own recipe, even better) . Thankyou so much for reading. I hope you enjoy this post as much as I did creating it. Happy Cooking 🙂